If you've ever looked up a book on Amazon, you've probably noticed that each page includes a section called "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought." Before I became an author, I never used to pay much attention to this feature. Now I study the titles listed on The Poacher's Son page trying to determine if there's some secret pattern to be discerned in the books purchased along with mine.
At the moment the list includes:
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larrson (OK, everyone's reading that one)
- The Glass Rainbow: A Dave Robicheaux Book by James Lee Burke (Maybe because I have a French last name?)
- Junkyard Dogs: A Walt Longmire Mystery by Craig Johnson (An outdoorsy mystery series, so I guess this one makes sense);
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (OK, everyone's reading that one)
- The Passage by Justin Cronin (A post-apocalyptic vampire novel? Naturally! The perfect follow up to The Poacher's Son)
- Faithful Place by Tana French (Dublin undercover cops, Maine game wardens: basically the same professions)
I don't see much of a pattern here. Do you? But at least my novel is in good company.